Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lisa's Wedding

I don't know if you remember this episode but Lisa's Wedding is a Simpson's episode that tells the story of Lisa's first love, while at graduate school, in the year.....wait for it.....2010. Like any good high school physics teacher, I let part of my class watch the start of this episode today. Come on, it was an in-class work day. Anyway, I was floored on how I watched this episode when it came out, in high school, only to watch it 15 years later..almost to the day in high school again. Wait....March, I guess I was in 8th grade. The point is, I am old. By now you are asking, "But how does this pertain to robots or even nerdiness?"

If you have thought this question, you need to train your geekiness by watching some old Simpsons. First off, this episode starts with the Simpsons at a Renaissance Faire which is awesome and nerdy all in itself. Also, that most of Springfield is also there, is so funny; Chief Wiggum saying "......it's an Esquilax" referring to a Horse born with a head of a rabbit and the body of...a rabbit. I was made fun of non-stop about going to a Ren Faire and apparently it is just a normal thing to do in Springfield. My people.

Secondly, Robots...By now there should be Robot Librarians and Robot British Servents. Also, the video phone referenced in the show is basically Skype. So all-in-all I think we are pretty close to the Simpson's forcast, hologram trees, 40 Jim Carrey Movies, the British saving our ass in WWIII, surviving cryogentics........(It is so hard to type sarcasm).

The Future is NOW!

2 comments:

  1. When I first read the subject line I thought "when did Gina go to a wedding lately?" I wish you would have clarified by calling it "Lisa Simpson's Wedding."

    As for being old...yes you are! But we all are. I especially loved your review of Simpson's 2010 future fortelling. I would like you to critic other highly critical futuristic fortelling movies. For example, Back to the future part 2, Demolitian Man, Judge Dredd, Total Recall, Minority Report, etc...

    Feel free to correct my examples, especially if they take place way further in the future.

    In the meantime, I would like to read "Gina's top ten favorite (or "favourite" if you are Ruben) robots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a good idea...maybe soon

    ReplyDelete